Heritage Listed Building
250 Faraday Street - Faraday house is distinguished for details such as its pedimental plate bearing a thistle flower amongst tendrils; parapet balls resting in palmettes; and especially the three dimensionally carved rinceau frieze of the verandah with brackets and drops below.
The house dates from 1871 and was owned and constructed by the local architect/builder Levi Powell. It is in externally good condition apart from replacement of the lower verandah structure with cast barley sugar columns resting on a low wall.
The only comparably carved frieze which can be indentified is the Puginian Gothic one at Ballantrae, Buninyong, of 1859 Regent Terrace, an early terrace of distinguished architecturally quality, and with special associations with both George Simmie, the founder of the building dynasty and later parliamentarian (Note 1), and Levi Powell, builder and architect. (Source: Victorian Heritage Database)
Our Location:250 Faraday Street
(Corner of Faraday and Cardigan St)
Carlton, Victoria 3053